Monday, September 29, 2008

Manic Monday

Does anyone recall that old hit by the band Bangles - 'Just another Manic Monday?' And so, here I am, it's another Manic Monday. It starts with my daughter being in a foul mood because she's starting her half-yearly exams and has to wake up early. I'm still trying to tide over the weekend sleep-deficit by trying not to doze and fall over into the eggs:-) Coax unwilling daughter into eating a chapathi and omelet. See her off on her way to college.
And, disaster - maid-servant's late! What to do? Do I start cleaning up? Or should I wait? This time, I tell myself, I'm going to get rid of her. But where will I find another one? I can't do all the cleaning, washing, cooking and still go to work in the morning. She arrives, at last, with her trademark sheepish grin. After she's done, feed the pigeons - they've been waiting patiently for their millet. They coo and gurgle and show off. Then run downstairs to make coffee for a still-sleeping husband. Curse a little at how all men have it so easy and then curse myself for spoiling him so utterly. Bath. Pooja. Pack lunch. Where are my clothes? I never have enough clothes to wear. Never mind that the recent painting job has left about 6 bags full of old clothes in the downstairs bedroom. Take the plunge and dive into traffic. There's this lunatic who thinks he can squeeze between two cars as if he's two-dimensional. Traffic lights - a beggar knocks at the window. I could cheerfully strangle him but hunt around in my overcrowded purse for a coin. Traffic starts again like racers in the Grand Prix. Try to find a parking place in the basement. All places taken. Swear and curse. Go back to ground level to park. Lift takes an infernal time and I'm trying not to drum my fingers or kick the door. Sign in. Open door and switch on the lights in the cabin. My Manic Monday has just begun.

No comments: