Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Good Egg!

[Source:www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/p-g-wodehouse/ge...]


Today is my day for a doff of the hat to a master wordsmith - P G Wodehouse. I'm reading a Psmith omnibus and like every time I read it, I'm chuckling insanely to myself all the time. Psmith's verbose flights of fancy and his habit of using at least ten words where one will do - coupled with the classic English dry humour - still charm the reader across all these years. It isn't the zany situations Wodehouse's characters get themselves into, it's the way he takes a threadbare plot and spins into a wonderful, light confection. A review I once read compared his works to souffle - and I agree. My personal favourites are Bertie Wooster and Lord Emsworth - could anyone be more dim-witted than these two? Hilarious! For a paean to Wodehouse, read Stephen Fry's article: http://www.pgwodehousebooks.com/fry.htm. Stephen Fry played Jeeves in television adaptations of the Wooster chronicles. Whenever life creeps up and catches you like the down express in the back, to use a Wodehousian simile, all you have to do is curl up with a Wodehouse creation and allow him to do some gentle healing. If there's a golf links up there, with a whisky and soda , and a comfortable smoke at the end of the day, Mr. Wodehouse, I hope you are getting yours.


[Source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574698/P-G-Wodehouse-fan-reveals-the-real-life-Jeeves.html]



1 comment:

Jennifer P. said...

Can't beat witty, dry English humor ;)!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Thailand--WOW! That's a serious commute :)!

I use all those crazy fonts in my blog because in person I talk with my hands--a LOT!--and so that's my version of trying to communicate that part of me on a computer screen!

I wish you all the best in your blogging adventure!---it's awfully addicting!

~Jennifer P.