Monday, November 3, 2008

My Birthday and Assorted Impressions



It was my birthday last Saturday and I had a great time ushering in the big four-oh. My Mom and DH gave me presents - clothes and jewellery, loads of friends mailed or called, my daughter wished me and helped me cut a cake in spite of her busy schedule. It was a bright, sunny day - typical of the onset of winter. A slight nip in the breeze, yellowing leaves and bright, blue sky - perfect! The chocolate cake was just right and Mom cooked me a few of my favorites.


So, what's it actually like? Being 40? Not much changes, really:-) A few more aches than I would like but I'm essentially the same. It's been a good year - I managed to make up my mind about certain things that I want to do and I have my family's support. Excised a few toxic relationships that were wearing me out with their shallowness and lack of true warmth. My health is miles better and I did manage to keep my New Year resolutions of eating well and exercising regularly. My pigeons now eat out of my hand when I feed them. The turtle doves come waddling by to ask for their grain. My daughter is settled into a groove and seems better at handling stuff now. DH is going through a paradigm shift in terms of responsibility - life's good!

Have been reading: Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln, Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie (for the nth time!), Where are you now? by Mary Higgins Clark (pulse-pounding suspense)

No comments: