Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Historic Win!




THE COLOR PURPLE

Watching the Presidential race for most of this year,2008, was very interesting. As an Indian, I'm not going to pretend that I understood it all - but I have to say this: no Presidential tussle generated the kind of suspense and expectation that this one did. I remember being vaguely interested in John Kerry and Ross Perot and other such Pretenders to the Throne - but Obama galvanized the world's attention and I've been watching the campaign closely. Since I'm neither Democrat nor Republican, this victory makes no difference to me. But as a world citizen, I'm compelled by the event itself to see that America has truly come a long way in terms of prejudice and color. Obama is probably not the silver bullet to right all wrongs but, hey! He got there, didn't he? That makes it possible for all non-white communities to dream. I wonder if Martin Luther King is up there, watching. As are the shades of all those African-Americans from the past.

Whether he can fulfil his campaign promises will be another story..um..post.

All power to you, Mr. President!

No comments: